Even A Small Renovation Project Has Big Impact
Small renovation projects come with smaller, more manageable budgets. Yet they deliver real value. When considering a home makeover for your Sun Prairie residence, small-scale projects offer excellent returns on your investment. A remodeling trade magazine recently found that smaller, focused projects return as much as 68% of the cost while major, large-scale jobs return only about 60%.
There are a few areas to concentrate on to make a design statement quickly and economically:
- Bring in color – a fresh coat of paint that includes a new color for walls and trim makes a big difference. Color from paint, wall papers, tile and accents transform a space. Bright colors expand depth while light colors make small spaces appear bigger. If you want to give the ourside of the house fresh face, try painting the front door and shutter.
- Never underestimate the value of light – while a dimly lit space might be cozy for some, it is unappealing to others. Stylish light fixtures to accent your decorating themes bring to life to a room. The right lighting reduces shadows on workspaces, provides light for activities and gives a room a welcoming warmth. Installing dimmer switches on ceiling lights is a simple way to change the impact of overhead lighting. To enhance overall comfort, consider installing ceiling fans equipped with lights. One of the hottest trends in kitchen design is the addition of under cabinet lights to brighten the countertop work area. Adding these versatile lights in an older home really updates the space and makes cooks very happy.
- Add architectural accents – your choices of moldings, panels and trim are expansive. Crown molding, baseboards and wainscoting give a room a totally new look. Don’t forget to extend your use of colors to baseboards, window and door trim, too.
Keep Your Renovation Project Simple
Bringing new paint, wallpaper and décor into your home has impact. Complimenting these updates with new hardware makes a statement, too. Consider changing the hardware in whatever room you’re planning to redo. Your options include:
- Door handles and knobs
- Decorative hinges
- Latches on windows
- Faucets and plumbing fixtures – changing styles, colors and textures
Even seemingly little things like decorative wall plates on light switches and electrical outlets. A change from gold to silver hardware on kitchen cabinets makes a striking difference. Add a new color to old cabinets and a dated kitchen looks brand new.
Keep Your Home Makeover Reasonable
If you’re looking for a place to start professionals suggest;
- Start with the floor – the flooring trends that went into your home when it was new have been replaced thanks to dozens of new materials and techniques. There are custom water- and stain-resistant carpets, exotic hardwood products, laminated woods, man-made materials and tile. Wood-look ceramic tiles are the hottest choice for renovating small rooms, especially any area where water is present – bathrooms, kitchens, mudrooms and entry ways.
Once you determine a reasonable goal for your lifestyle and budget consider combining one or two of these elements. You don’t need to do everything at once to have a big impact.
Let A Professional Guide Your Renovation Project
Before you plan to knock down walls establish a realistic, reasonable budget. When it comes to renewing a kitchen adding a custom-looking backsplash is a great place to start. There are dozens of colorful tile options to explore. Modern designs include stovetop to ceiling installations as well as interesting patterns, colors and textures on a smaller scale. Let your imagination loose. Sims Exteriors & Remodeling is an experienced and knowledgeable source for ideas, materials and the skills to renew a classic home. If your home was built 15, 20 or 30 years ago home makeover project is a wise investment in today’s housing market. Sun Prairie is a rapidly expanding community with history and tradition in its neighborhoods.
To plan a timely home makeover, contact Sims Exteriors and Remodeling at 608-825-4500, or email us to kickoff your renovation project in Sun Prairie WI.