Finding the right remodeling contractor to bring your visions for your Sun Prairie WI home to life is a major task. Projects involving a home remodel come in all sizes and shapes. Each has critical elements that require a professional’s touch. Selecting the right contractor is the most important move toward a successful project.
A remodeling project, no matter how small, is disruption to your daily routine. Nobody likes delays, interruptions and inconvenience. Not to mention extra expenses and last-second changes. That’s why Sims Exteriors and Remodeling applies its “No Hassle” guarantee to every job. Not only does Sims guarantee to deliver high-quality products, skilled professional craftsmanship and accurate timetables, it promises to deliver on every promise. Centered upon a 10-year workmanship warranty , Sims delivers peace of mind.
Before Your Commit, Ask Your Remodeling Contractor
As you explore remodeling options you have more questions than answers. How do you evaluate one remodeling contractor compared to another? Here are elements of the process to ask about and be comfortable with:
- Project management – who oversees the home remodel project?
- Managing subcontractors and specialists – who pays the subcontractors, secures the permits and arranges for required inspections?
- Is the company licensed, bonded and insured?
- Will the company provide references based on similar size projects?
- Has the company done projects just like yours? Recently?
- How long will it take to complete a project like yours?
- How does the company deal with changes, delays and problems?
Choosing an established local contractor that specializes in remodeling is a big step toward heading off problems.
Sims has long-term relationships with specialists and all its staff and subcontractors are factory-trained, certified and highly-skilled in their area of expertise. The No Hassle guarantee includes a project manager to deal with your plan from start to finish. All permits and inspections are dealt with in a timely fashion and you are kept in the loop at all times.
Plan For A Successful Home Remodel
Plan ahead as your home vision takes shape. Make notes, draw a floor plan and get as much on paper as you can. Everything starts with basic ideas – your drawings, pages torn from magazines and printouts from webpages. When you’re ready, contact several contractors and evaluate what’s available. The professionals at Sims suggest your research include:
- Details on a comprehensive contract – everything in writing.
- A concise description of the project to be done and pricing for every element.
- A payment schedule – does the contractor require half down and half on completion or a third down and equal payments as work progresses?
- A precise start date and a workable timeline for completion.
- An outline of guarantees and warranties – from the contractor and from vendors and product suppliers.
- How delays and unexpected problems are handled.
A contractor with plenty of remodeling experience will provide these details with little effort. The key to the entire process is communications between you and your contractor. Put your questions in writing when you can so there’s no misinterpretation and they will be accurately shared with the workers on the jobsite.
Tips From Veteran Remodeling Contractors
Feedback from dozens of homeowners and long-time contractors result in two key suggestions for any project, big or small:
- Expect the Unexpected – there will be delays and changes no one can foresee. The countertop material for the custom-designed vanity you “must have” in the bathroom is delayed in shipping from the manufacturer, or when taking out old cabinets mold or water damage needs attention. Sun Prairie weather can slow down or prevent work. Any number of unexpected situations can – and probably will happen.
BEST ADVICE – stay calm, be flexible, be realistic and plan accordingly.
- Keep Everything – File all your paperwork, from the earliest drawings and notes to the formal contract in one place. Always include written change orders, plans (original and modifications), specifications, product descriptions and warranties (owner’s manuals for appliances, etc.), bills and invoices, canceled checks and records of payments, certificates of insurance and any letters, emails or notes to/from your contractor and project manager.
BEST ADVICE – nothing is too small or insignificant. Hang onto everything!
Trust Local Professionals
The final success of any home renovation begins with a solid plan and a team to make it reality.
Sims Exteriors & Remodeling is an experienced and knowledgeable source of remodeling ideas, trends and the latest in designs
For a “No Hassle” experience, contact Sims Exteriors and Remodeling at 608-825-4500, or email us to put your home remodel project into motion with a remodeling contractor you can count on in Sun Prairie WI.