Selecting the right front door replacement gives your house a chance to make another “first impression.” Switching out the older, warn and dated front door on your Sun Prairie WI home with new color and style invites guests and friends in. Everyone wants to make a great first impression, don’t they? A modern entry door not only looks great, it provides security and efficiency to the family. With today’s modern front door options there’s a new door to showcase every personality.
Sun Prairie neighborhoods house dozens of architectural styles and reflect decades of building trends. Whether a homeowner is trying to update a house, expand and remodel or renew it to its original character the front entry door stands out. It has been said that the front door to your house is the entryway into your personality. It’s certainly the entryway into your personal space.
Historically, front doors have ranged from bold and rugged to basic and bare. Modern styles incorporate all the old features with new technology. New replacement doors reflect styles and value. Remodelers report that larger openings and unique shapes are in demand. Fewer call for basic “off the shelf” door installations. And there’s good news – custom-looking front door replacement choices don’t have to be budget busters!
Replacing your front door not only attracts attention, it adds value. According to Remodeling Magazine’s annual Cost vs. Value report, replacing an old, inefficient front door with a new steel door returns as much as 130% of its cost. Custom-looking wooden door installations might add even more value. And, replacing your front door earns an almost instant return on the investment. Can you beat a combination that makes you home look great and puts money in your pocket in the future?
Material Options For A Front Door Replacement
To begin the search for the perfect new front door, start with a survey of basic building materials. There are several door-building techniques available. Each has its pros and cons. Consider:
- Steel entry doors – the steel front door has a well-earned reputation for strength, stability and security. It’s also weather-resistant. Steel doors are not solid metal, they have an insulated core surrounded with a metal skin. The core gives them the high rating as thermal barriers. Some designs feature vinyl coatings to make them look like wood grain. These doors may come pre-painted at the factory or with factory-applied primer so you can paint them any color you want. Biggest drawback is that steel doors show dents, dings and scratches – areas that might be difficult to repair and prone to rust.
- Wooden doors – if you want exceptional character and style, a wooden entry door is top of the list. Nothing matches the natural beauty of wood with either natural finishes or colored stains. Craftsmen create wooded doors in unique shapes with custom feature. The possibilities for a really special look are almost endless. Popular wood choices include oak, cherry, mahogany and fir with newer species added all the time. The main drawback to a wooden door is that it needs maintenance, especially in an exposed area. Wisconsin weather and bright sunlight are not kind. The surface needs attention and refinishing every couple of year.
- Fiberglass entry doors – a third option that takes on attributes of both steel and wood it’s low-maintenance and tough. Similar to steel, fiberglass-clad doors feature an inner foam layer. Unlike steel they are lighter. Embossing techniques allow fiberglass to look like real wood grain and they take stain and paint well. Fiberglass doesn’t warp or react to moisture like wood.
Entry Door Hardware And Accessories
While you can get a plain front door, don’t undervalue the surroundings. The door frame itself adds to the impact – do you want sidelight windows? How about transom windows above the doorway? Hinges, specialty latches and deadbolts are part of the overall installation. Your choices can be elaborate to simple. Do you want your new front door to look like the entrance to a castle or a beach house? Your remodeled entryway might fit the existing space or you can expand – double doors, wide windows and woodwork make coming home an adventure.
Options and special features set replacement front doors apart. There’s everything on the market from all-glass to solid, no-glass. Is there a place in your home for a door combining the warmth of real wood with art glass?
Most manufacturers offer dozens of door styles and several material options. You can almost design your own from scratch – but without the stress. The Pella lineup of replacement doors includes all the popular choices. It’s website includes a handy source for evaluating your options from styles to materials and choosing a professional installation contractor. Check it out here!
Don’t Undervalue New Door Installation
When you’re working toward smooth and quiet operation plus energy efficiency proper front door is installed is critical. It’s not as easy as it looks – especially with more elaborate decorative styles. You have choices when it comes to finding the best installation crew so look around. Pella and other major manufacturers provide independent remodeling contractors with factory training and certification. When you’ve decided on the right style door for your Sun Prairie home, be prepared to ask would-be installers a few significant questions:
- Are you certified by door/window manufacturers for accurate installations?
- Do you have your own installation specialists or do you subcontract?
- Do you warranty your workmanship – beyond the warranty of the door-maker?
- How do I get service if there’s a problem after the door goes in?
- Can you install a new door any time of year?
- Do weather conditions cause delays or problems?
- Will you provide a list of references from previous work?
Front Door Replacement – Choose A Certified Contractor
Pella Certified Contractors like Sims Exteriors & Remodeling are factory-trained to not only install windows and doors correctly, but to provide accurate reliable pricing. Professional certification adds an extra measure of peace of mind before the process begins. It’s comforting to know the people coming into your home know what they’re doing and have done it before, isn’t it?
Whether you existing front door needs repairs or lets too much unwanted Wisconsin weather in there’s a new entry door that’s just right. Once you’ve weighed the benefits of one material over another and sorted out all the possible design options, give Sims Exteriors & Remodeling a call at 608-825-4500. Or email us and we’ll arrange to meet and evaluate your needs. We’ve been serving the area for decades and have just the right front door replacement for your Sun Prairie WI home.