Glass block shower walls gives popular walk-in showers even greater appeal. With bathroom renovations second only to kitchen remodels on a Sun Prairie WI homeowner’s wish list, a walk-in shower is in demand. Replacing traditional tiled walls with glass blocks adds distinction and style to any bathroom. When you’re looking for a spa-like atmosphere translucent walls add ambient light setting the mood and lighting the way. There’s nothing more elegant or relaxing than the subtle natural light afforded by these classic structures.
Does the idea of a glass block wall bring to mind flat, unattractive piles – walls that look like clear concrete blocks? If it does your age is showing – or you’re remembering something from your grandparent’s era. Modern advances in block design not only take advantage of available light while providing plenty of privacy, they come in colors, shapes and varying sizes.
Simple, yet elegant and unique, glass block walls are a great way to provide a high level of “wow” factor in your new bathroom. You’ll created a dynamic feature ready to show off to guests!
Glass Block Shower Walls – Versatile And Appealing
In an age when door-less showers are all the rage and expanding master bathrooms is high on homeowners’ “to do” list, getting creative makes sense, right? With new glass blocks imagination is the most limiting factor in bathroom design There are many shapes, sizes, textures and colors from which to choose. Your new walk-in shower need never boring. Using textured glass and high-tech lighting you’ll enter what appears to be a new space almost every time!
The use of glass blocks for showers and bathroom dividers isn’t new. But it doesn’t get old. Designers and glass block-makers are innovative. What keeps these unusual building blocks trendy, consider:
- Natural light is in demand – Glass walls allow light to “move” from one space to another. There’s plenty of privacy with unique applications of light and shadow.
- Little Maintenance – Glass is easy to clean and sanitize even when textured. It has no crevices to snag and hold dirt, grime and debris.
- Designer Colors – where you once had a choice of clear or clear, today’s glass block suppliers list more than 100 different colors of glass blocks from which to choose. Mix, match and go wild!
- Imaginative Design Opportunities – blend the latest in colors, textures and sizes creating curved, sculpted and patterned walls. Blocks go together one at a time so walls can vary in height.
- Robust Construction – a glass block walled shower is much more substantial than any traditional drywall structure with or without tile added.
Using glass blocks used to be limited by the availability of individual blocks and the overall dimensions of the room. Individual pieces didn’t come in many sizes or shapes. The most limiting factor is still that fact that you cannot cut glass blocks.
Pros And Cons Of Working With Glass Blocks
Where you were once restricted to working with square corners and straight line, today you can build in curves. Traditional 8-inch by 8-inch blocks are still available. But now there are sleeker, slimmer and more versatile shapes and sizes as well. You can get a single block for curves or 90-degree angles. With planning and the latest materials you fit an elegant glass block wall in a space the size of a basic 60-inch bathtub. Modern materials have expanded the uses for glass blocks to rooms of many sizes and shapes. Your designs can easily range from simple to extraordinary. Let your imagination and lifestyle give form to your vision.
Before you get too far into the planning stage, understand these unique building materials are not perfect. They don’t fit everywhere. There are many advantages, but some drawbacks, too. You don’t want any unpleasant surprises when it comes to a bathroom remodel, do you? Consider these disadvantages to a renovation including glass block walls:
- Block walls are heavy – There’s a significant difference in weight between a block wall and a standard drywall structure, even with tile added. Individual blocks are heavy; a well-supported floor is a must.
- Glass walls are for looks, design – block walls won’t support the weight of any structure.
- Is privacy critical – glass walls allow light to come through and that means they are not completely blocking vision. If you don’t want any view in or out of the shower glass is not for you.
- Cost – depending upon the size and shape of your new wall, glass blocks can cost more than traditional building materials.
- Not a DIY choice – glass blocks are not something you can cut to fit. And they require special tools and skills to install properly.
Don’t Undervalue Unique Glass Block Wall Features
Yes, the use of glass blocks for bathroom walls goes back to the era of your grandparents, but don’t let age diminish value. Modern manufacturing provides materials to create ultra-modern lines and contemporary styling. In addition to their unique styling, glass block walls reduced sound penetration and retain heat. When you’re working hard to create a friendly retreat where you can escape from a hectic day, you appreciate some quiet time, right?
In addition to being easy to keep clean and a host of creature comforts the use of glass as a building material offers many opportunities to combine with other materials for a true “statement” result. Consider these accent options:
- Mix and match tile choices – are you using ceramic, porcelain or decorative tiles in the new bathroom? A tile border around the glass wall adds a unifying and expressive touch.
- Get artistic – with more than 100 colors available from which to choose for your glass blocks you can create art. Imagine the combinations of colors, sizes, shapes and textures you can bring into the creation. Tie all your bathroom décor into a true piece of “wall art.”
- Anything but boring – do you want an exciting contemporary “uptown” look in your new bathroom or is it the true “retro” look you’re after? You can create either – and anything in between – with an artistic use of these creative building blocks.
Glass Block Shower Walls – Innovation Plus Imagination
After you’re evaluated the advantages and disadvantages of a truly unique new look for your home’s master bath, it’s time for serious planning. True, glass block structures are expressive and elegant. But, they are also architecturally demanding. You cannot cut corners – figuratively or literally – with a glass block installation. Final installation takes, skill, experience and the right tools. Do you know if your bathroom’s floors are supported well enough to support a block wall? How can you reinforce them if they aren’t? You don’t want to face these questions after the remodel begins, do you?
When you’re ready to get serious of any remodeling project, Call Sims Exteriors & Remodeling at 608-825-4500, or email us and we’ll share our extensive experience and evaluate the pros and cons of the project. We’ve been serving the area for decades and know what it takes to install the perfect glass block shower walls for your Sun Prairie WI renovation.