Without a reliable replacement window contractor, new windows won’t perform as advertised. Price and reputation don’t matter when windows are installed poorly. Choosing an unreliable installation team influences daily life in your Sun Prairie home all year long.
How do you recognize a reliable window specialist? Begin with checking out installers’ experience, training and support.
Learn From Replacement Window Installers
It goes without saying you have to learn as much as you can about the windows you are considering. Evaluate the pros and cons of vinyl vs. wooden or vinyl-clad windows for example. Vinyl window are the most popular from coast to coast. Both vinyl and wood frame windows provide options that are energy-efficient when installed correctly. To calculate potential energy savings, check out Home Energy Calculator website. High quality windows offer the potential for as much as a 25% energy savings in the Madison area climate.
For additional local information, ask your Sims representative for the company’s Replacement Windows Buyers Guide. It’s a resource created by the professionals on the staff to help your select the right windows. And it provides a guide to choosing the right windows contractors for your home.
Build Trust Before You Buy
When you finally decide to install new windows the first step is selecting the right contractor. You’re putting your home and future comfort in the hands of a stranger so getting acquainted early is critical. Checking references and professional credentials is obvious. Don’t leave your first meeting without a list of references for completed projects like yours – including details of the project, names and contact information for the client.
Here are some equally important questions to ask early:
- How long has the contractor’s company been in business?
- How will the project progress – what’s the procedure and timeline? Get as accurate a time estimate as you can in the planning stage: When will the project started and finish?
- How does the contractor’s representative outline the approach to this project? Don’t except a vague answer like “that depends.”
- Is the contractor a full-service remodeling organization, a window specialist or a “big box?”
- Who will do the work? Company personnel or sub-contractors?
- How many projects like yours has the company completed in the Sun Prairie area in the last year or so?
- How much of the business comes from repeat customers or referrals?
- Ask for details on the local window contractor’s workers compensation and liability insurance. This is a critical issue, if the contractor doesn’t insure its people you are liable for anyone injured during the installation.
- Does the contractor secure all required permits and inspections?
- Ask about installer’s training – certified by trade or industry associations? Trained by the window manufacturer? How long have the members of the crew been installing windows?
- Will a senior company representative oversee the project on a daily basis?
The ‘Go-to’ Window Replacement Contractor
Sims Exteriors & Remodeling is an experienced and knowledgeable source for materials and the skills to upgrade, repair or expand your home. It’s the most respected source for new and replacement vinyl and wood windows in Dane county. Contact Sims Exteriors and Remodeling at 608-825-4500 – call or email us – for all the best replacement window options for your Sun Prairie WI home.