Choosing the right remodeling contractor for any home renovation is a major decision. Contractors bring a variety of skills and experience to every job. With home values in Sun Prairie continuing to rise, a home remodel makes sense on many levels. If you’re looking to upgrade, expand or prepare for a move, there’s a positive return on your investment in the future.
A home remodeling project comes in many sizes and shapes – from a whole home makeover or a full-scale addition to one room projects like a new kitchen, bath or basement theater.
Choosing A Remodeling Contractor
Unless you’ve been involved in several home remodel projects there will be many questions to ask as you select the contractor who’s right for your needs. Even if you’ve “done it before,” no jobs are exactly the same. However, they all have basics to cover When you’re meeting with a contractor here are a few critical areas to discuss right from the start:
- How long has the company been in business?
- How long has it been doing the kind of projects you want?
- How many projects like yours has the remodeling contractor successfully completed in the last year? Last 5 years?
- Does the company specialize in your desired home remodel projects?
- Is it a “full-service” general contractor or does it out-source specialty tasks to subcontractors (plumbing, HVAC, etc.)?
- Are the subcontractors regular members of the remodeling team and work on all or most of the company’s projects?
- Who will be your number one contact person?
- Who supervises the project?
- Are the company’s people skilled, certified and highly trained – factory trained, veterans in the business?
- How will the contractor present a proposal – complete details of materials, designs and a timeline? Ask for specific costs and step-by-step progress reports.
- How are change requests handled?
- When can the contractor start your project? A precise timeline and estimate of how long each phase will take should be available after the plan is drawn up.
- Does the contractor have complete workers compensation and liability insurance? Don’t be reluctant to ask this one – if a remodeling contractor IS NOT INSURED and a worker is injured working in your home, you may be liable for medical bills and relate costs!
- Who requests and pays for the required building permits? It should be part of the contractor’s overall package and not your worry.
Most importantly, ask for references you can contact personally.
The Home Remodel Process
Today’s videos and TV specials make remodeling look quick and easy. It can be, but the home remodel process includes steps that cannot be overlooked, including:
- Step 1 – planning – including details over every step and all materials
- Step 2 – demolition – depending upon the project it can be quick or time-consuming
- Step 3 – remodeling – installing, building and creating takes time
- Step 4 – finishing – it’s the little things that make the difference
- Step 5 – Acceptance/Approval – nothing’s done until you say it’s done and all the commitments from the planning stage have been met
- Step 6 – Warranty/Support/Follow-up
Work With a Committed Professional Team
Committing to a remodeling project is a big step. Compare remodeling contractors to the commitment you get from Sims:
- Guaranteed price quotes – complete quotes with no hidden fees, upcharges or surprises
- No ‘Just In Time’ pricing – the highest quality products and workmanship on your home renovation for every job.
- We Guarantee It – we stand behind our work for 10 years — if something goes wrong we fix it!
- Reliable Project Management– we promise complete quality control and project continuity – our project managers are craftsmen.
- Committed to Communications– our quote is for the entire project start to finish. Project managers are there for you.
Our experienced remodeling team will help you weigh the pros and cons every decision. A family-owned remodeling business serving Sun Prairie area homeowners for more than 20 years, Sims Exteriors and Remodeling is a licensed, bonded and insured general contractor. Sim provides expertise in a variety of home renovation, remodeling and new construction projects – understanding the latest home remodel trends and providing honest answers make Sims the remodeling contractor you can trust in Sun Prairie WI.