TV, magazines and Big Box stores make a home remodel sound like a do-it-yourself project. For most homeowners in Sun Prairie WI, it isn’t. A professional remodeling contractor brings three things to every project most homeowners cannot:
- Time – few realize how much time it takes to do the job; even a relatively easy project. A handyman can easily take a kitchen or bathroom off-line for weeks when he realizes he’s taken on more than a weekend job.
- Tools – dedicated contractors have the tools to do all the things necessary quickly and efficiently. Homeowners can rent or buy similar tools, however it takes hours of experience to use them correctly.
- Backup – a professional remodeling contractor stands behind its work with a guarantee that goes beyond product warranties. When homeowners make mistakes there’s nobody backing up their work. “On the job training” is expensive.
Of the more than 2,000 do-it-yourselfers recently surveyed across the country 2 out of 3 (63%) report they regret at least one of their home remodel attempts. And 1 out of 3 say they called in a professional to redo the job. Results like that increase both the time and dollars invested.
Why didn’t the results match their expectations? Their reasons include:
- “It just didn’t look good” – more than half were seriously disappointed with the final outcome. Their result didn’t measure up to pictures in the magazines or images on TV
- Too much time – the second most common complaint is the project took way more time than expected. The report says on average it took about 22 hours more!
- Harder than it looks – nearly half the do-it-yourselfers found taking on a project required more physical and technical effort than expected.
- Costs more – nearly 20% of those surveyed say the projects they tackled cost almost twice what they expected.
Don’t Underestimate A Home Remodel Commitment
A home renovation project is a commitment in time and resources. It’s a disruption to your daily life. The challenges from basic demolition and construction are significant. And, they come with risks. In the national survey nearly 200 people related tales of how their work caused damage to their home. More than half say they were injured.
When you’re weighing the advantages of hiring a skilled licensed remodeling contractor against taking on a project on your own, ask yourself:
- Can you physically handle it? – there’s a lot of lifting, bending and carrying involved. Every step requires physical effort. If you’re not used to it there’s a toll on your body. Don’t underestimate how much. Try working with a professional-quality power drill above your head (as you would working on cabinets, drywall or ceilings) for a few minutes. It’s like lifting weights.
- How important is a professional finish? – do you want the final effort to look like an amateur job or have the craftsmanship of a pro? Experienced remodeling contractors make it look easy. Skill comes from experience.
- Who fixes mistakes? – what if something goes wrong? If you couldn’t do it right the first time, can you undo it?
- Is there a step that’s risky? – does your intended project include potential for injury or damage? Ceilings, roofs and demolition all require climbing and using heavy tools. Falls from ladders is one of the most often reported home accidents.
- Do I have the tools? – professional contractors have the heavy-duty tools most homeowners do not. By the time you buy or rent professional grade miter saws, tile saws, scaffolds or nail guns you could have paid a pro. Don’t forget just because you have the tool in hand doesn’t mean you can use it effectively.
Enlist A Home Remodel Pro You Trust
“Ever so humble, there’s no place like home…” That’s true throughout your neighborhood. Sun Prairie is a rapidly expanding community with history and tradition in its neighborhoods. The value of older homes is increasing with the city’s popularity. As lifestyles change re-energizing your existing home makes sense. Working with a home remodel pro with years of experience makes sense, too.
Sims Exteriors & Remodeling is an experienced and knowledgeable source for ideas, materials and the skills to upgrade or expand your home. Don’t fall into the DIY trap, contact Sims Exteriors and Remodeling at 608-825-4500, or email us to see how we can help with a home remodel in Sun Prairie WI.