The number of housing starts fluctuates, houses on the market come and go and prices rise – all contributing to asking “why remodel?” While there are many housing options in Sun Prairie WI, the demand in good neighborhoods out-paces supply. Renovation trends in the remodeling industry provide guidance when asking the why remodel question.
Every home owner has three options:
- Stay put and do nothing.
- Move to a new home to get what you want or need as your life and family matures.
- Remodel your existing home to take advantage of everything you love about your home.
Remodeling jumps to the top of the list when your primary goal is creating changes to benefit your daily activities and lifestyle. Remodeling one room or the whole house has a major impact on your life.
The Why Remodel Conundrum
Is being tired of old kitchen cabinets, tile in the bathroom or carpeting in the family room reason enough to remodel? It might be. The why remodel question is very personal. Updating your kitchen, completely renovating your master bathroom or finishing a basement adds a new dimension to every aspect of your life. Consider simple benefits derived from current renovation trends:
- An up-grade to family space improves the quality of life for a growing family with younger children – and that can include adding decks and patios.
- Adding storage, a game room or workout room to a basement or unfinished attic brings life to underappreciated part of the house.
- Why remodel? Reduce daily stress, increase functionality inside your home and improve your family’s well-being.
When Home Remodeling Works – And When It Doesn’t
The idea of moving to a new home comes with plenty of excitement and an equal measure of doubt. Remodeling is a big decision. Selling your home and moving is an even bigger one. If you’re facing this choice, consider the following reasons to move vs. reasons to delve into renovation trends.
Reasons to move include:
- You’ve outgrown your current home – either you don’t need as much room or the family needs more space.
- The yard is too small.
- You’re looking to change school options.
- Your daily commute has changed or it is too demanding.
- The neighborhood has changes and you don’t fit in.
- Property taxes are too high.
- Remodeling takes too long.
- To get what you want will cost more than you can hope to recoup when you sell the house.
- You’ve changed jobs or are being transferred.
Reasons to stay include:
- You really like your current home.
- You’ve put a lot of work and care into creating an outdoor living space you’re proud of.
- Your kids love their friends.
- The local schools are excellent.
- The daily commute is perfect.
- The neighborhood everything you want.
- Remodeling now makes your home much more marketable when it is time to sell.
- The cost and upheaval of moving outweighs the disruption of a major remodel – costs of moving, real estate fees, mortgages, short-term storage, changing utilities, finding new services.
Room-to-room Renovation Trends
Change is the driving force behind a move or a make-over. Some changes are required while many others are optional.
The kitchen is the most popular room in the house and usually first to get the designer’s make-over touch.
Why the kitchen:
- Modern design revolves around an open, free-flowing traffic pattern that begins and ends in the kitchen. Today the kitchen is truly the hub of daily routine. Every day starts and finishes in the kitchen.
- Kitchen remodeling brings dated décor into the 21st century and adds efficiency to routine activities.
- A new kitchen sets the stage for the overall design trend in the home – moving a wall here and there leaves an unrecognizable, all-new ambiance.
- Whenever friends and family gather for special occasions, the kitchen it the room where people congregate.
Recent surveys of real estate professionals reveal that an updated guest bathroom is one of the highest priorities for families looking for a new home. It’s also high on the list for growing families. And beyond the practical, a master bath turned from a functional room to a relaxing retreat is one of the top renovation trends for 2018.
What’s important in the bathroom:
- Bringing bathrooms up to date is a great step toward getting every day off to a good start.
- A luxury bathroom moves from a utilitarian space to a relaxing.
- Why remodel – to make the space inviting – bring more natural light into the space, replace old tile with new, vibrant wall and floor coverings, swap out a dark wall for an all-glass shower enclosure.
- Give fixtures style and character.
- Replace old fixtures and plumbing with modern energy-efficient and water-wise installations.
Think Energy Efficiency Top to Bottom
Committing to a remodeling project should reduce heating and cooling bills. There are energy-efficient products available at every turn from light bulbs to low-flow toilets. A great place to start is with highly-efficient replacement windows. Replacing windows or adding new ones not only enhances your life but adds to the resale value of the property.
An experienced remodeling contractor will help you weigh the pros and cons of moving vs. staying and upgrading your home. A family-owned remodeling business serving Sun Prairie area homeowners for more than 20 years, Sims Exteriors and Remodeling is a licensed, bonded and insured general contractor. Sim provides expertise in a variety of home renovation, remodeling and new construction projects – understanding the latest renovation trends and providing honest answers to “why remodel” in Sun Prairie WI.